CPA Review Course Cost, Price Comparison & Discounts
What Factors Influence the Cost of CPA Review Courses?
There are a few reasons why CPA review course costs can vary by provider:
- The CPA Exam covers a large volume of material. There’s a reason the CPA Exam is broken down into four unique sections totaling 16 hours of test-taking time. CPAs are held to a very high standard. As a result, CPA candidates are expected to know the ins and outs of the field at a very detailed level.
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA®) regularly updates the CPA Exam. The AICPA offers blueprints that break down topics that will be tested, related tasks that will need to be demonstrated, and the level of proficiency necessary in each area. This guidance routinely changes, requiring CPA prep providers to update their CPA course content.
- CPA review providers offer differing services. As you explore CPA review courses, you’ll find that most companies offer a few levels to their services depending on what access you want (e.g., live 1-on-1 access to experts or simply the course itself). From company to company, you’ll see even greater disparities. Some providers are more established, have higher quality question banks and videos, or feature higher-end technology. All of these factors play a role in CPA review costs.
CPA Review Course Price Comparison
As mentioned previously, there are a number of sales, affiliate programs, and other discounts associated with CPA review courses. This makes outlining the cost of CPA courses rather difficult. To keep it simple, the following chart represents the prices and promotions featured on five top CPA prep providers’ websites at the time of writing. Prices are subject to change, and CPA candidates may find better or worse promotions elsewhere. Nevertheless, the chart should offer a general CPA course price comparison between industry-leading brands.
|CPA Review Course
|Premium CPA Course
|Individual CPA Section
|UWorld Roger CPA Review
|$499 to $599
|Becker CPA Exam Review
|Surgent CPA Review
|Gleim CPA Review
Is UWorld Roger CPA Review a Good Value?
UWorld is an industry leader in education technology that has helped over 2 million of the world’s accountants, doctors, nurses, finance professionals, and more pass their high-stakes exams. Our vast product offerings allow us to offer best-in-class study methodologies and technologies at a great price. We design our software from the ground up to maximize user engagement, memory retention, and learning outcomes. Our greatest value comes in the level of detail provided in our problem and task descriptions, which are prepared by current CPAs and respected accounting educators. Notable UWorld Roger CPA Review features include:
- 6,000+ realistic multiple-choice questions with detailed rationales focusing on overall concepts and why each answer choice is right or wrong.
- Hundreds of task-based simulations with equivalent rationales to build concept mastery.
- 100+ hours of video lectures by Roger Philipp, CPA, CGMA.
- Digital flashcards with spaced-repetition technology that strategically present concepts in a pattern optimized for information retention.
- SmartPath Predictive Technology™ that compares students progress and performance against successful CPA candidates’. Students who reach our SmartPath™ goals achieve a 94% pass rate on the CPA Exam.
What Are the Pitfalls of Using a Cheaper CPA Review?
While it may be tempting to purchase a less expensive CPA review course, it’s wise to first determine your needs. One way to do this is to take advantage of free trials. If you think you’ll need a mobile-friendly program, see how a few CPA review courses perform on your normal device. You should also pay attention to the course content. Do the practice question explanations cater to your learning style? Do you enjoy the user interface and video presentations? Being proactive before you purchase a CPA course is just as important as being proactive after.
How Can I Get a Free CPA Review Course?
In addition to free trial access, CPA candidates can apply to UWorld’s CPA Exam Review Scholarship for a chance to receive Elite-Unlimited access, valued at over $3,000, for free. UWorld strives to make a world-class education more affordable and accessible. Each year, UWorld sponsors over $3.4 million in course scholarships.
Should I Wait for a Discount Before I Start Studying?
Waiting for a CPA review course to go on sale is a risky game that we do not recommend you play. The AICPA encourages students to study for 300 to 400 hours total for the CPA Exam. This averages to 75 to 100 hours per section. Best practice is to start early and make studying for the CPA Exam a daily activity. It’s better to pay a few hundred dollars more for a good CPA review course than sacrifice additional time and money by failing a section of the exam.