CPA Exam Schedule & Reschedule
How to Register and Apply for the CPA Exam?
Get step-by-step guidance on how to build a solid study plan.
When it comes to deciphering the CPA Exam schedule and application process, many candidates feel overwhelmed and confused. But we're here to help! Read on for a detailed guide to the CPA Exam schedule, registration process, and application method.
How to Schedule the CPA Exam?
As a first-time candidate, you must meet the state board's exam requirements to register and apply for the CPA Exam. Those include academic, age, and residency requirements. Please note that the CPA Exam is held in 55 U.S. jurisdictions and territories. The US territories include Guam, Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Washington, DC, and the Virgin Islands.
Each state has a unique set of rules and requirements to sit for the CPA Exam. Hence, check with your State Board of Accountancy to find out the state-specific CPA requirements for scheduling the exam and associated CPA Exam costs.
Steps to Schedule the CPA Exam
The following is an outline of the steps required to apply for the CPA Exam.
1. Determine Eligibility to Sit for the CPA Exam
Research and complete your state’s requirements to sit for the CPA Exam, such as Education, Age and Residency requirements.
2. Submit Transcripts and Application Fees
Based upon the requirements of your State Board of Accountancy, submit your university transcripts and pay the associated application fees.
3. Receive Your Authorization to Test (ATT)
This is your approval to take the CPA Exam. Your ATT is only valid for 90 days, so make sure to register for your exams promptly.
4. Obtain Your Notice to Schedule (NTS)
Once you pay your CPA Exam fees, you will receive your NTS within four business days. The NTS indicates which CPA Exam section(s) you’re approved to take.
5. Schedule Your CPA Exam
Navigate to the NASBA website and choose your jurisdiction to begin the process – either through your State Board of Accountancy or NASBA CPA Examination Services (CPAES). Candidates can navigate all related applications through the NASBA CPA Portal.
Become Familiar With Prometric
The CPA Exam is administered by Prometric Testing Centers, which are open year-round, six days a week, with locations across the US.
Prior to scheduling your exam through the Prometric website, be sure to have available:
- Your NTS for eligibility verification
- A primary photo identification
- A personal calendar for choosing the date, time, and location
Things you can accomplish on the Prometric website:
- Schedule your CPA Exam
- Locate a Prometric test center
- Reschedule your CPA Exam
- Cancel your CPA Exam
- Confirm your CPA Exam test date
Choosing a Prometric Center
There are hundreds of Prometric testing centers available across the US and in many countries internationally. You are not always obliged to sit for the CPA Exam in the state you’re applying to, though some states may require you to sit for the exam in the United States.
Before choosing a prometric center, you must select your preferred date. Here are the steps to choosing a Prometric center:
- Go to the CPA area of the Prometric Testing Center Website.
- Choose “Locate” on the left navigation bar.
- Choose which CPA Exam section you want to take in the drop down menu of the ProScheduler and click next.
- Put in your address and requested date(s) to find a test center on the day you prefer.
- Choose the location for the closest test centers that are populated.
If you don’t find a testing center that is close to you, try toggling different dates. Locations will populate based on the testing date and seat availability.
After you choose your exam date and location, you can move on to the next step of scheduling your exam as follows:
- Go to the prometric proscheduler main page and select “Schedule”.
- Choose “Uniform CPA Exam” under Test Sponsor and Program and click on the next arrow
- Read the Identification Policy carefully before proceeding and click next
- Agree to the Policy Notice and Personal Data Privacy Disclosure & Consent
- Put in your exam Section ID and the first 4 characters of your last name and click next
- Choose your testing center location and then click on “Schedule an Appointment.”
- Finally, choose “Complete Registration” to complete your CPA Exam scheduling.
How to Reschedule the CPA Exam?
CPA candidates may reschedule or cancel their CPA Exam test dates by reaching out to Prometric testing centers. If you contact Prometric at least 30 days prior to your testing date, there is no fee for rescheduling or canceling your exam. If you contact Prometric between five and 30 days before your exam, you will need to pay a fee directly to Prometric.
If you reach out to Prometric less than five days prior to your exam, you will have to pay the full amount for the CPA Exam section you are canceling. Please note that you will not be able to change your CPA Exam test date with less than twenty-four hours notice. At that point, you will need to reach out to your State Board of Accountancy for further direction.
Steps to reschedule the CPA Exam:
- Go to the prometric proscheduler main page and select “Reschedule”
- Enter your confirmation number that you received from your first scheduling process
- Provide four characters of your last name
- Finish the process by selecting ““Reschedule Appointment”
- Wait for the rescheduling confirmation via email
When to Schedule Your CPA Exam?
Several variables should be considered while selecting when to schedule your CPA exam.
Consider Available Study Time
Before scheduling your CPA Exam, it is important to take your estimated study time into consideration to ensure you are adequately prepared on exam day. If you underestimate your study time, you may end up rescheduling the exam and wasting money. UWorld Roger CPA Review students have full access to our CPA Exam study planners. This is a great way to gauge how much time you will need for each section of the CPA Exam, while considering your personal schedule.
Since the CPA Exam is offered throughout the year, it’s easy to find a time that fits your study schedule. However, it’s important to not wait until the last minute to schedule your CPA Exam. Try to plan your CPA Exam at least one month in advance of your desired exam date. This increases the likelihood of obtaining the desired exam dates, time, and testing site.
CPA Exam Scheduling Checklist for International Candidates
If you are an international candidate, you need to apply through a State Board of Accountancy that participates in international testing.
- You will need a passport to take the CPA Exam at an international location.
- Visit the NASBA website to apply. If you don’t see your jurisdiction on the NASBA website, then that means you cannot take the CPA Exam internationally through that jurisdiction.
- If your jurisdiction allows international testing, then you’ll need to pay the international fees and complete your international registration.
- You will be asked to provide identifying information as well as information from your NTS.
- After you’ve completed the registration process for each CPA Exam section, you’ll need to wait 24 hours before you’re able to schedule your exam.
- Choose the location where you want to take the CPA Exam. The CPA Exam is offered internationally in these locations: India, Nepal, England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Israel.
- Choose “Schedule an Exam.”
- Review and agree to the policy information before proceeding.
- Enter your CPA Exam section ID number from your NTS and then enter the first four letters of your last name and choose the bottom right arrow to move ahead.
- Choose your location, date and time, and then choose “Complete Registration.”
Frequently Asked Questions
After receiving my Notice to Schedule (NTS), do I have to schedule my CPA Exam within a certain period of time?
Read more about the CPA Exam
Looking for guidance to pass the CPA Exam? Check out our CPA Exam study guide for an effective study-plan and methods!